About the project
This project, sponsored by the European Commission, consists of three major seminars, two of which will take place in Strasbourg in 2013 and one in Trier in 2014.
Each seminar will have a specific focus:
- Seminar 1 (Strasbourg, 20-21 June 2013): The European Convention’s, European Court of Human Rights’ and national courts’ roles in improving conditions related to detention.
- Seminar 2 (Strasbourg, 14-15 November 2013): The supervision of matters related to detention: the Council of Europe and international bodies’ work in improving conditions
- Seminar 3 (Trier, February 2014): The improvement of conditions relating to detention at an EU level: best practice, legislation and the European Commission’s Green Paper on detention
Contents of the seminar
This first seminar in a series of three will analyse the roles of the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights, as well as that of national courts, in improving conditions related to detention.
- Overview of relevant ECHR articles
- Case law of the European Court of Human Rights and national courts on issues related to detention
- Issues related to pre-trial detention
- Best judicial practice in improving matters related to detention
- Mutual trust and mutual recognition of judicial decisions relating to detention amongst EU Member States: the effect of Council Framework Decisions 2008/909/JHA and 2008/947/JHA (mutual recognition of judgments, custodial sentences and probation decisions) and 2009/829/JHA (European Supervision Order), as well as the European Arrest Warrant
Who should attend?
Judges, prosecutors, lawyers in private practice, ministry officials, and officials from judicial training institutions, prison administrations, the probation system and prison monitoring bodies.
- Fair Trials International
- Council of Europe
Conditions of participation
Registration fee: 280 EUR
- Travel costs up to €300 (including taxi costs) and accommodation for two nights (19-21 June) up to €140 per night will be reimbursed by ERA upon receipt of the original receipts, tickets, boarding passes, invoices after the seminar.
- Participants are asked to book their own travel and accommodation.